Sunday, February 12, 2012

Aye, aye Admiral

Last night I visited my childhood favorite seafood restaurant in the South Bay, Admiral Risty, 31250 Palos Verdes Dr W., Rancho Palos Verdes. It's easily been 10 years since I had been, as it was the old fail-safe selection for my birthday, years gone by. Last night, well a few ago, I decided it was time for a return visit.
I admit it wasn't as good as I remember, but nolstagia keeps it a fond place in my heart. The Ono was good but not amazing; the clam chowder was good but not special. Did have a good bottle of 2009 of Kaiken, a Malbec from Mendoza named after a wild goose. Rich, spicy and colorful. That's about the extent of my wine expertise. Oh, and it produced a nice buzz. But back to the food.
Started with oysters on the half shell, and was a bit perplexed that I had to request horseradish. Was also served with a curious vinaigrette.
I ordered the mash potatoes, which were good yet not mind blowing, and broccoli. The servers have also grown noticeably younger, which for a restaurant that opened in 1966 is bound to happen. Still, not the same experience as before, especially as the tab, with a bottle, will run you about $150. Definitely not horrible, but be aware that it's not cheap.
Risty lends to customers a gorgeous view of the Pacific and Catalina Island, at it's best during the summer. All one can see in February is the occasional lights of a passing vessel.
I guess I must give it another try come summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment